NFL Week One in Review – Dallas Cowboys vs. Washington Redskins

The Washington Redskins started the new season with a win against the Dallas Cowboys.  It was a pretty decent solid game of football to say the least.  Since I cannot talk too much trash about our overall performance, I will acknowledge that work still needs to be done on both sides of the ball for the Redskins.  On the other hand a victory is a VICTORY.  I see no need in dwelling on the negative aspects of the game especially since this victory did what it always does. It places a certain calm over the city and provides some level of peace in the hearts of Redskins fans alike.  Plus, I get the added bonus of talking more trash to the Dallas fanatics for at least another 3 months.  I know the afterglow of this successful game will be short lived, but it makes watching any Sports programming much easier.  I don’t have to mute the TV or leave the room when the News goes to the Sports segment, and I don’t have to avoid watching SportsCenter, PTI, or the halftime NFL highlights during MNF.   In summary, I’ll just move on to the positives…my day and the end result.  Yeah!!, the end result that came with only .03 seconds on the clock while my heart thumped out of my ample breast…yeah, THAT end result. However, instead of talking highlights, let me share my season opening day.
The day before the game, I attended a Wine Festival so when I went to sleep, shall I say…I was a little tipsy.  Tipsy or not, the game was on my mind as I slept.  Sadly, I slept like a kid awaiting the first day of school.  I woke up with butterflies in my stomach, (…or was that a wine hangover??? Hmmm?)  I was as nervous as if I was about to make my NFL debut.  Later, I spoke to my girlfriends that were going to the game with me to finalize our plans, as I watched NFL Countdown & the NFL of FOX.  You know… just to hear what the latest media comments were about my darling Redskins…typical stuff, but nothing new.  I made the meatballs.  Oh yeah, I CAN cook.  Every Redskins home game, I make the meatballs for my tailgating crew.  (Can I just say, I gets compliments.  OKaaay? OK!)  Seriously, after getting things on the home front all situated, I carefully placed my ‘curly Redskins R’ & ‘Redskins helmet’ magnets on my burgundy car & began the drive to FedEx Field.  I listened to Sirius NFL coverage and got highly pissed as I listened to the Giants refusing to lose their dumb game, but I digress.
Arriving at the parking lot to tailgate (we don’t tailgate for preseason games) after so many months away, almost brought tears to my eyes.  After eating like a pig & drinking like a fish, (not really, I drink responsibly), we went into the stadium.  At this point I am very very nervous because the kickoff is getting close and we are playing Dallas afterall.  I am harassing fools wearing their musky Dallas attire, while giving the royal treatment to wise intelligent people that properly have on Redskins gear… as any self respecting Redskins fan does.  The game starts and it was enjoyable.  Some fans get all caught up on certain statistics. Sometimes I do, but when the numbers are not favorable to me, I only care about one statistic...
·         Dallas had more 1st downs (24 vs. 17) Big deal!!
·         Dallas had more total plays (71 vs. 56) Who cares??
·         Dallas had more total yards (380 vs. 250) Whateva!!
·         Dallas had more time (34:03 vs. 25:57) What did they do with that time, huh???
·         Dallas had more TURNOVERS (1 vs. 0) I love you DeAngelo Hall!!
·         Redskins had more POINTS! (13 vs. their stinky ole 7) Hail to the Redskins!!!
This Diva is Done!  ...and so is this Drunk Dallas Dude!!!