2011 - Week One in Review – Redskins vs. Giants


The Washington Redskins had their first game of the 2011 - 2012 Season on Sunday September 11th.  In front of a packed house, it was a good 28 – 14 victory for the Redskins.  Although this game ended like I wanted it to, this game had an emotional start because both these cities were majorly affected by the events of September 11, 2001.  The weather - beautiful.  The opponent -NFC East rival.  The atmosphere - Not Normal.

·         I did my usual tailgating, making my signature spicy meatballs. Of course;  – Normal
·         I towed a car full of Giants fans to the game. – Not Normal (PigsknLnvgLady & SportsDiva627)
·         I went to my lower level seats first to get some on field warm up photos. – Normal
·         I couldn’t Tweet anything because the reception at FedEx Field was very poor. – Not Normal
·         When the introductions started, I stood with the crowd for the National Anthem. - Normal
·         When I sat down, I was embarrassingly wiping my face. – Not Normal
When the people assigned to carry a 100 yard flag slowly entered the Giants sideline, Colin Powell was walking up the 50 yard line for the coin toss.  
- I felt my emotions changing.  
Next, there was a moment of silence for those that lost their lives ten years ago.
- Now, I was getting mushy.
The flag slowly, methodically overcame the green of the football field.  
- I felt my throat getting tight.
Players from both teams walked to the flag’s rim to grab hold of this sight of beauty.
- My nose was burning!
Recording Artist Neo began to sing the National Anthem and the flag holders rapidly made wave like motions with the flag, as if it is was blowing in the breeze. 
- Tears fell from my eyes...
I was overcome with the meaning of this day, the meaning of our freedoms. I am ‘proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free, and I won’t forget the men who died who gave that right to me….’
This Diva is Done!